Friday, April 1, 2011

WM XXVII: Thoughts and Predictions


As many of you know, this Sunday Wrestlemania 27 will take place in Atlanta, Ga in the Georgia Dome. Before I get into my prediction for the Super Bowl of wrestling, I wanted to share a couple of thoughts.

The main thing I want to touch on is the significance of luchadors on the event. I remember when I first started watching wrestling on a regular basis, the only wrestler that was of Mexican origin was the late Eddie Guerrero. Now 11 years later, this pay per view will feature two luchadors, one who will be fighting for the World Heavyweight Championship -- Alberto Del Rio.

Not to mention, on the Monday Night Raw following the pay per view, the company will debut Sin Cara on television. According to ewrestlingnews.com, Sin Cara has worked a couple of house shows, but will finally make his debut on April 4.

The point is in a little over a decade, wrestling as a whole is starting to move toward international wrestlers; specifically luchadors. I am willing to bet back in 2000, the only reason Hispanics were watching wrestling is because of the likes of The Rock, Triple H, Stone Cold and the Undertaker. But now, they will be tuning in to watch Rey Mysterio and Alberto Del Rio. And hopefully if put on a good show they will also see the debut of Sin Cara.

And now for the interesting part of this post, the predictions...

Randy Orton vs. CM Punk
I got Orton is this match, mainly because I want to win and he is my favorite wrestler. Also, with the way things to do in the business, most people can pretty much tell Orton is going to win. But this rivalry is far from over.

Rey Mysterio vs. Cody Rhodes
Let's go with Rey Mysterio here. Rhodes as had his number in the past couple of weeks, but I see Rey Mysterio coming back with some revenge.

Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan
I'm picking Sheamus here he only became champion a couple of weeks ago. They need to build him as credible champion and having him lose would make him a paper champion.

Kane, Big Show, Santino Marella, and Vladimir Kozlov (with Tamina) vs. The Corre (Wade Barrett, Ezekiel Jackson, Justin Gabriel, and Heath Slater)
Not really sure how this match will be played out; as an elimination or just a regular tag team match. But I think The Corre will win. They need to make the credible and what better way than beating two giants and the former tag team champs.

Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, Trish Stratus and John Morrison vs. Dolph Ziggler and LayCool (Layla and Michelle McCool) (with Vickie Guerrero)
This match, like for most people I really don't care for. So I'm picking the team of Trish, Morrison and Snooki. Don't expect much out of this match...seriously.

Jerry Lawler vs. Michael Cole (with Jack Swagger)
God I hope Lawler beat the crap of Cole. It's not just because I hate Cole, but more because I miss Jim Ross calling the action. I just hope he calls the match. That's would be awesome. But I got Jerry 'The King' Lawler in this one.

Triple H vs. The Undertaker
With the way things went down on last Monday Night Raw, I think Shawn Michaels will play some role in this match. However the steak will continue. 19-0 for the Undertaker at Wrestlemania.

Edge (c) (with Christian) vs. Alberto Del Rio (with Brodus Clay)
Del Rio says its his destiny to win the World Heavyweight Championship. And I just can imagine how his ego will inflate if he wins the match. Well I guess we will have to wait and see on Friday. Del Rio wins this one.

The Miz (c) vs. John Cena
The Rock will cost John Cena the WWE Championship. He will payback for the Attitude Adjustment John Cena gave him on Monday Night and all this will lead to a match at the next pay per view. The Mix retains.

Now for the special blog post on Sunday. In case you will not be able to watch the pay per view, tune in here as I will blogging the whole event (do my best ability of course). So check here Sunday night to see all the happenings of Wrestlemania 27.

-Christopher J. Valverde

Follow me on Twitter: @xfactor7806

*Photo courtesy of WWE*


This was the only promo video I could find with most of the matches

No comments:

Post a Comment